Sunday, January 17, 2010

UAE- Abu Daubi

Well let me just say I am a total slacker....We are currently in New Zealand and have been to Malaysia, Australia and I still have to talk about the United Arab Emirates.....so here goes....

Well we arrived in Abu Dhabi and were greeted by Gary Price (such a great guy) who took us to his beautiful home, we just loved their family.
(They were the family that we spent a week with in Oman.)

I cant even explain how rich this county is ha ha its so crazy. One of my favorite parts of Abu Daubi was their White Mosque it was the most beautiful building! It is the second biggest Mosque in the world (the first being Mecca in Saudi Arabia) so lets just say it was pretty magnificent. They spent about 1 billion dollars building it and during the whole tour...the guide was like "and this is plated in gold....and this is painted with gold.....and this IS solid gold."
(ha ha you can see how it would cost that much)


Well before I was even allowed on the Mosque grounds, Scott (Price) and Austin had to go and get me an Abaya to wear, (you can rent one from the Mosque... Woman have to wear one no matter what and the guys only have to wear a covering if they were in shorts)....even when my hair popped out I was told to hide it. It was pretty cool to get to wear one...but I must say they are REALLY toasty.

This was our guide....he was awesome and so funny!

tiny me...

This carpet was AMAZING...it is the largest carpet in the world and they flew over 2000 woman from Saudi Arabia to sew it inside the Mosque....very cool! I liked this shot of the woman just standing there...


This is my favorite picture!


And this is the largest Chandelier in the world....it is pretty huge!!

Austin with his new Muslim wife :)

More of the UAE to come.....some more Abu Dhabi and Dubai.

3 comments:

Rebecca Luke said...

Wow! SO amazing. Thanks so much for posting all the pics. They are GORGEOUS! And yes, I bet you were quite toasty all covered up, and in black no less!

The last Unicorn said...

Those are some amazing shots! What a beautiful place. And I love you in that garb Sara!

RussellsRoost said...

All I can say is WOW!!!!