Sunday, November 22, 2009

Egypt Part TWO

Dahab and Mount Sinai

So after an 8 hour bus ride we arrived in Dahab....such an awesome town I loved it there!! Its a little beach town right on the red sea. We were so tired when we got there that we just passed out...but the next day we explored the town.

I love the no camels on the beach sign....


so pretty


just some random sights of the town


They had a whole street of these amazing restaurants right on the water...so colorful and so pretty all lit up at night


The Red Sea and ME


This was an old broken down building on the boardwalk but I just loved this picture and the sun shining through


After checking out Dahab we were off to hike Mt. Sinai. This was one of the most amazing experiences ever. You leave for the hike at about 11:30 at night and ride a small mini van for an hour out to the mountain. The hike starts at around 1:30 am....and it is EXTREMELY cold!

There are hundreds of people that are hiking but you have a guide and your own group. We had about 9 in our group and once we got our guide we were off.... Honestly it was SO incredible at night, it was pitch black with no light whatsoever and you are hiking through these canyons with the most vivid stars overhead. I loved every second! I saw about 7 shooting stars and that is only when we stopped to rest....all in all it was INCREDIBLE

here is my attempt to try and capture the stars....I was so rushed cause we were in the middle of hiking...and that is hard to do with such a long shutter speed


After 2 1/2 hours of hiking you come to the "750 steps"...yes that is right Seven hundred and fifty steps that is the actual name....ha ha the last thing I wanted to do was climb up that many steps...but we did it :)

Once at the top they have all of these Bedouin huts set up so that you can have some hot chocolate and tea before the sun rises.... It was a cold wait. Here is Austin with some of our group


The sun not up yet...but still so beautiful


snuggling up...trying to stay warm...and watching the sun rise


my favorite moment....so breathtaking...probably the most gorgeous sunrise I have EVER seen






views after the sun came up....ha ha so that is what we were hiking through in the middle of the night...you never would have known



It was so amazing to think that Moses hiked up these mountains at one time...just amazing


The hike back down....for some reason this was so much more exhausting to me....probably because I did a 3 hour hike in freezing cold weather and hadnt slept


some sights on the way down...you could rent camels to help you walk up or down the mountain...I just love camels they make me laugh



Egypt was amazing, I almost wish we would have spent more time there....such kind people and such beautiful places. My favorite was Mt. Sinai what an incredible experience, one that I will always cherish.

Now off to Israel

5 comments:

Happy Paws Dog Boarding said...

Hi Guys,

I love the videos clips and the pictures of Mt Sinai! The picture of you and Austin at the top (I put it on my desktop)is the best. The stars must have been amazing and the sunrise looks so beautiful. You have seen so much and it always seems to be another wonderful adventure each time you move on. Wow!!
Love you both, Mom xxxooo

Whitney said...

I don't know what I envy more, the amazing experience you had, or the way you look after hiking through the night and being up at sunrise. All of it is just amazing. Love you guys!

Rhett Maurice Billen said...

Some day I'll go back and do the hike. . . I forgot how much i enjoyed Dahab. Too cold for snorkeling?

Hi! said...

Those mountains are an incredible sight. More wonderful pictures. Was that a huge pile of blankets in the hut to use to stay warm that no one was using?? :0
Love, Irene in Bellevue

jodes said...

Sara! the pics are SOO amazing! Please take more food pics!! mmmmm...i want some of that turkish pizza please! miss you guys!!!